A PDF version is available here.
2115 Angell Hall, 435 State Street
Ann Arbor MI 48109
(530) 277-8574 • email@example.com
University of Michigan
Doctorate of Philosophy Classical Studies September 2010 – December 12,2016
Dissertation: “When the Gods Speak: Oracular Communication and Concepts of Language in Sophocles”
Dissertation Chair: Ruth Scodel. Committee Members: Richard Janko, Sara Ahbel-Rappe, Ezra Keshet
University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts Classical Languages, summa cum laude September 2003 – May 2008
Research and Teaching Interests
- Greek Tragedy
- Early Greek Philosophy and Scientific Thought
- Women in the Ancient World and Feminist Theory
- Reception and Reperformance of Greek Drama
“874. Day-by-Day Register,” [together with Graham Claytor] in: W.G. Claytor, S. Lash and A. Verhoogt (eds.), Papyri from Karanis: The Granary C123 (P.Mich. XXII). (under contract)
Review of The Women from Trachis at Walgreen Drama Center, by Sophokles, translated and directed by Doron Bloomfield, Walgreen Drama Center, Ann Arbor, MI. Didaskalia 9 (2012): 24-26. http://www.didaskalia.net/issues/9/5/.
“Double Vision: Gendered Modes of Prophecy in Greek Tragedy,” Feminism and Classics VII: Visions, Seattle, May 2016.
“‘Trusty’ Oracles of Zeus? The Pragmatics of Prophecies in Sophocles’ Trachiniae,” SCS 147th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, January 2016.
“Antigone the Activist: Greg Taubman’s Antigone/Progeny,” Classical Association Annual Conference 2014, Nottingham, April 2014.
“The Δυσκολώτερον Σκόλιον: A New Model of the Skolion Game in Antiquity,” 145th APA Annual Meeting, Chicago, January 2014.
“Is There a Doctor in the House? Medical and Psychological Depictions of Madness in Euripides,” 4th Biennual Graduate Conference of the UCLA Classics Department. Mens Insana: Madness in the Ancient World, Los Angeles, November 2012.
Latin 101 Fall 2012
Latin 102 Winter 2013
Greek Mythology Winter 2012
Greek 103 (Intensive Greek) Summer 2013
Sport and Daily Life in the Roman World (Classical Civilization 372) Summer 2014
Section Instructor: Writing-Intensive Courses
Classical Civilization 101 (Greek literature and history in translation) Fall 2011
Great Books 191 Fall 2014 and 2015
Guest-lecturing on the Eumenides
Athens Present and Past (Modern Greek 325) Winter 2016
Guest-lecturing on the Peloponnesian War and Athens in the 5th and 4th century
Service to the Department
Committee for the Support of Job Seekers 2015-present
Three Fields Talks Committee 2013-present
Copley Latin Day Committee 2015-present
Literature Brown Bag Coordinator 2014-2016
Graduate Student Mentor Winter 2015
Department Graduate Representative 2011-2012
Service to the University
Contexts for Classics Graduate Student Coordinator 2015-present
Rackham Graduate Student Blogger 2012-present
Facilitator for Graduate Student Instructor Teaching Orientation 2012-present
Service to the Field
- “‘Making Sandwiches in Academia’: Gender and Academic Service” (roundtable organizer, with Rebecca Kennedy), Classical Association of the Middle West and South Conference, Kitchener, April 2017.
- Classics and Social Justice Steering Committee Member (2017)
- Women’s Classical Caucus Graduate Liaison (2012-2016)
- “Developing a Contingency Plan: A Dialogue about Non-Tenure Track Faculty” (roundtable leader), SCS 147th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, January 2016.
- “Navigating a Career in Classics” (panel organizer), Classical Association of the Middle West and South Conference, Boulder, March 2015.
- Graduate Teaching Certificate (GTC+Digital Media Certificate, with a particular focus on digital pedagogy) through the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching
- Preparing Future Faculty Seminar (Summer 2016)
Awards and Fellowships
- Women’s Classical Caucus Award for Best Pre-PhD Paper (2017)
- Engaged Pedagogy Initiative Fellowship (2017)
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship (2016-2017)
- Context for Classics Classical Translation Contest Winner (2015, 2016)
- GTC+ Faculty-Student Networking Grant (2015)
- Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant (2013, 2016)
- Rackham Conference Travel Grant (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)